It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 7:37 am

Ga Tre 

Post Ga Tre
The Ga Tre is a Vietnamese bantam. To my eye it seems to have a stance similar to a Japanese bantam, but with an oriental game influence to the shape of the head, and a long tail spread similar to the cubalaya. There are different varieties. I doubt I'd ever be able to obtain actual Ga Tre stock, but I could possibly breed something similar to them.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/ ... GaTre.html

I will be using cubalaya, Japanese bantam, and possibly old english game to start with.

January 16th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Ga Tre
Looks to be a minature Ga cua....

January 16th, 2009, 8:45 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Very interesting, it sort of looks like that project sumatra we were talking about the other day. If I remember correctly they used Old English bantams for the color and managed to lower the tail again and a similar wing (again relying on my faulty memory)... I see a muff!!! Where are you going to introduce the muff though? Awesome little guys would be really cool if you could even come close, keep me updated!!

January 16th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.gamefowl.co.uk/ganoi.htm

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

January 16th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Shamo Queen
Shamo Queen

I thought the same as you prairiechicken - just like a miniature Ga Cua. But was told by their Vietnamese breeder that they were actually not related.

I am puzzled :? if I wanted a particular breed I would hunt it down until I found some. You guys always seem to decide just to 'make' some. To me that is just muddying the waters and really confusing the ancestry for future breeders, because they won't be that breed at all, they will just look similar.
I know it's difficult to find what you want, but I always wonder why you don't go along that path first? If a breed exists and it's what you want badly enough, you could get it eventually - with odd protected exceptions. And people re-making those are very careful to use the same original 'ingredients'!

January 17th, 2009, 5:18 am
Profile E-mail

I do not know how to obtain true Ga Tre. I do know that even if I was somehow able to communicate with a Vietnamese breeder, I do not have the money to import the birds. I would never advertise what I "created" as a Ga Tre because it would be false advertising. They would just be long-tailed bantams with short legs. :)

So, until I am actually able to obtain true Ga Tre (if ever), I'll pass my time away trying to breed short legged, long-tailed bantams to play in the yard. :D

January 18th, 2009, 5:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW

fowlafoot wrote:
Very interesting, it sort of looks like that project sumatra we were talking about the other day. If I remember correctly they used Old English bantams for the color and managed to lower the tail again and a similar wing (again relying on my faulty memory)... I see a muff!!! Where are you going to introduce the muff though? Awesome little guys would be really cool if you could even come close, keep me updated!!

I saw the muffs too, there are clean faced also, pea comb and single comb. I can try for the clean faced, pea combed but I'm not sure the best course of introducing a muff.

January 18th, 2009, 5:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

I did see the cleanface Jade. I just though that the muff added more character (looking at my chickens I think you can see I like muffles! ;) )

January 18th, 2009, 8:53 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Location: In a land of green grass and sunshine with my beautiful woman
SL wrote, "I am puzzled if I wanted a particular breed I would hunt it down until I found some."

Well I checked, even the best of the chicken fairies don't seem to know of ga tre in the US. The serama might be a good choice to start with in trying to make a fake. I think I would like to breed ga tre as well.

But, being the sort I am a look-alike won't do. So I think that time and pacience will have to solve my problem. For the fairies have heard my plea and they seemed favorable... :jmp

If that time ever arrives then I would be happy to help others with the dream. :ck))

January 19th, 2009, 8:57 pm

red beard wrote:
SL wrote, "I am puzzled if I wanted a particular breed I would hunt it down until I found some."

Well I checked, even the best of the chicken fairies don't seem to know of ga tre in the US. The serama might be a good choice to start with in trying to make a fake. I think I would like to breed ga tre as well.

But, being the sort I am a look-alike won't do. So I think that time and pacience will have to solve my problem. For the fairies have heard my plea and they seemed favorable... :jmp

If that time ever arrives then I would be happy to help others with the dream. :ck))

You're the bestest, Red Beard! :D :thumb

January 19th, 2009, 9:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW