It is currently November 1st, 2014, 5:46 am

What is more Superior, Gilmore or Leiper? 
Stag
Stag

Post What is more Superior, Gilmore or Leiper?
Here we go folks! of these 2 Hatch blood what is more superior to the other in their purity and crosses Gilmores or the Leipers?, referrences and personal experiences are welcome! Thank you!---PabZ :D

September 23rd, 2008, 11:29 am
Posting Addict
Posting Addict

As with any breed it isn't as simple as saying one breed is better than another. It depends on the breeder, the current owner and previous owners. Also the conditions in which they are housed and fed will play a big part in it as well. That is what makes raising poultry so fun and hard at the same time. Always trying to improve them if you can and at least maintaining them. Both are harder to do than just throwing some birds together and presto you become the greatest breeder of all time.

September 23rd, 2008, 1:43 pm
Profile E-mail

Well put Hero...there are so many factors one must consider that neither choice is either a right or wrong answer. If their characteristics don't mesh well with what they are being crossed with, than it is hard to blame the fowl, because crossed over another fowl may give you the perfect "click". Within each "name" that you are looking at there is more than likely the entire spectrum of possibilities due to the differences selected by the breeders. It pays to know the fowl and the breeder in advance so one can contemplate and speculate as to the direction these fowl will take your breeding program....

September 24th, 2008, 1:05 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Stag
Stag

Post Re: What is more Superior, Gilmore or Leiper?
Hey,
as they said it all really depends on how you raise and care for them. but i will lend my personal experience just for informational purposes.

Here in Central KY, the Leiper is much more superior then the Gilmore. I know several breeders of both and they are both really nice fowl but it seems to me that from my personal observation the Leipers carry themselves much better as far as getting off the ground, shuffling, side steping and dodging, and attitude. i have noticed this from sparring matches alone however. If you want some hard hitting gamefowl in my area go for the leipers, they are great infused over most any fowl known for gameness.

As i said this isnt a guide to hatch fowl, only my personal experience with the breeders of them.

December 21st, 2008, 2:53 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Stag
Stag

I bred and show both, breeding 'em both straight as obtained as well as crossing them......for me, Leipers are indeed superior over the Gilmores! My leipers came from Kentucky, Alabama and Tennessee! Leipers are indeed more athletic and versatile while the Gilmores are a bit more predictable! These explains in the Philippine Circuit why Leipers are topping the list among hatch blood used for infusion while the Gilmore crosses very well with the Bruce barnett sweater blood. :say

December 21st, 2008, 11:26 pm
Chick
Chick

When I first started in Game Birds I got a real diss-like to all Hatch, they couldn't perform most times and most of the time they where game but a good performing cock wouldn't give them a chance.. I really enjoyed going against Hatch, as the Blues would out perform them. The last few years I seen some very Fast birds that are being called Hatch now and they could perform.. Most hatch been crosses some many times and gave a new name from the old hatch names I lost track of them..

December 25th, 2008, 11:29 am
Stag
Stag

Through careful selections over the years, we now have some hatches that are more than just bottom and gameness...I guess nobody wanted a dead "dead-game" chickens after all!

December 26th, 2008, 3:42 am
Stag
Stag

that is absolutly correct red. the new blood lines are so crossed up the only reason they should be called hatch is because they made it out of the egg.
i have a new outlook on cockers tho i'll explain.
i went to buy some fowl this past weekend was looking for a good "strong" hatch family just to make crosses with. ended up not getting any because the old man i went to see has so omany to choose from he has Penny hatch, mclean hatch, gilmore hatch, blue face hatch, texas hatch, white hatch, pink hatch, bates hatch, and some others i cant remember right off the top of my head.
he had them ranging from 4LBS up to 6 it was just to much for me to take in, but the reason i didnt buy anything at all from him was because when i asked him if he had anything close to pure he said that he did not, he said he has never owned a brood pen just lets his tied out rooster mate what ever hen, so it is possible he has alot of unknown hatch and all the money he invested when he got started was worthless becasue he baught all these "pure" bloodlines of his hatch and now they are all crossed up like an old stray dog.

he said he used to "fight" some roosters back before all the laws and that he had real trouble when the roosters turned out to be dandy one breeding it back because he could not choose what hen he got so he didnt know what babys where his.

June 9th, 2009, 3:02 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

No matter who the breeder is if you are looking for a "pure" name, than that is what you are going to get. As soon as someone else starts breeding them, they are no longer a "pure so-in-so", be it Mclean, Gilmore, Lieper, etc., as the names these breeds refer to are no longer the ones doing the selecting therefore they are as close to "his" as any ol mutt the next guy has that is called the same thing. Get to know the breeder, learn about the birds, and select on desired traits, you can call them whatever you want after that....

June 9th, 2009, 3:23 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Stag
Stag

that is a good point also PC,
i was just saying, he has no way to tell what is what or who is the parent to what, he doesnt have anything written down or any of that. so i would rather get mine from somone who atleat has a clue

June 11th, 2009, 4:49 pm
Profile E-mail YIM