It is currently October 31st, 2014, 10:35 pm

Traits of different bloodlines? 
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Post Traits of different bloodlines?
Hello , if acceptable to the moderators i would like to start a thread for everyone for their input on a subject of traits for infusion in creating a strain or cross of fowl, i would like to know what is the most game strain? hard hitters? most intelligent? best heelers? etc etc if you catch my drift?

June 21st, 2010, 5:00 pm
Know It All!
Know It All!

Post Re: Traits of different bloodlines?
There is no such thing. There is no invicible fowl. There is no level of gameness. A cock is game or he is not. A cock can win many times and then sull up and quit on his last fight. This is a dunghill he just wasnt called upon to show it the other times. A cock has to die pecking or kicking on his last breath to earn the title of a gamecock. Ive watched many times a pair of cocks in the drag for an hour or more. Only to see one stop breaking. But alive enough to lift his head going out of the drag. Then hear people tell how game he was.If it was mine I would have wished he ran the first pitting instead of getting my hopes up. In my eyes its the same as. As for the other traights you mentioned theres smart round heads and dumb ones as with all fowl depends on the familly more than the breed. But Im sure this will be an interesting thread. Now you have my opinion.

June 22nd, 2010, 8:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

thankyou for your honesty finch but we better lay off the fighting talk for future references, i know what you mean when you say roundheads are smart but then you get dumb ones aswell, but in general on the whole roundheads would be considerd very smart and ring generals back when this sport was legal,

June 23rd, 2010, 12:56 pm
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

roundheads are very smart and was ring generals back in the day when the sport was legal but that was a long time ago there are so many new breeds of fowl out there that are just a little smarter or a bit faster then the rh but its always going to comes back to that old saying (there is always a bigger dog on the block) and its hard to say what breed is the faster or smarter or harder hitting fowl as the sport is outlawed and the only fighting that gos on is small groups of people that only have there hands on maybe 3 or 4 breeds of fowl and they trade birds around like the village bicycle lol

July 8th, 2010, 1:56 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Surely there is a trend towards certain strains for power or speed or smartness, ??? Or is it all a big secret now , years ago if you needed sumtin to add to a strain you could say i will put sum hatch blood in for power or whitehackle blood for accuracy, i know its not as simple as that but in general terms if you catch my drift, ???

October 14th, 2010, 1:12 pm
Golden Feather Boy
Golden Feather Boy

ballyboy wrote:
Surely there is a trend towards certain strains for power or speed or smartness, ??? Or is it all a big secret now , years ago if you needed sumtin to add to a strain you could say i will put sum hatch blood in for power or whitehackle blood for accuracy, i know its not as simple as that but in general terms if you catch my drift, ???

In general, if someone wanted to add gameness/bottom/power back in the old days they chose a hatch cock over a hen like a roundhead/whitehackle/sweater/claret/kelso etc for a all around bird. But really, if you look upon it, whitehackles were birds that generally had everything in themselves.. But I agree with finch, all depends on the family. I think there was already a thread kind similar to this awhile back, and it didn't go much toward it. It is difficult to really talk about it without getting into "no-no" talk, even if it is historically based.

You might could pick up a little bit from reading the histories on strains, as in some of them that are pretty detailed like the Whitehackles and hatch birds (I think) it tells you things here and there.

-Daniel

Interested in poultry showing? Live in Mississippi or a nearby state? Check out the Mississippi Poultry Show Club!

October 14th, 2010, 6:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Know It All!
Know It All!

Carr was late in on the discussion, but read ballyboy's original questions over and over again- so many words had used, so much had been said, why wouldn't finch just tell the man-its was too simple-when the all of the answers to all of his questions could be answered in but a word- ASILS :D

October 14th, 2010, 7:37 pm
Know It All!
Know It All!

Carr, That was cold buddy very cold. But now that I think about it I guess its just my lack of experience, because I never have seen an asil live long enough to prove any of those traits. I mean I guess with muffs on maybe.

October 15th, 2010, 7:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

I was just trying to answer the man's question finch. Just as a man that doesn't question his fists or manhood doesn't carry a weapon so the Asil was bred

October 15th, 2010, 8:42 pm

It is the age old discussion that eventually gets to "mines better than yours", "his is better than his", "hers is better than hers", etc., etc. Breeds were and are bred for generations for certain purposes and styles, sometimes within the same species/strain. Looking for so-n-sos birds to infuse a trait is a wild goose chase. Unless they come straight from the original breeder, you can never be sure what you are getting, why we always suggest people do their research and get to know the breeder. A fancy name never meant nothing in the long run other than sell birds or describe how they looked, and I've seen good birds take pictures poorly and bad birds take great pictures, in the end they were just photos. There is no definable answer to your question, at least none that fits all. Birds don't make the breeder and a breeder can't make it without the right birds, so in the end, find something you like that suits your needs, be true to them and cull hard to their purpose. If you go out looking for a short cut, thinking you are making the magic strain, the second coming of the Boles, the unstoppable Sweater, etc., etc., you may just very well end up with some of the finest soup birds in the world.

October 15th, 2010, 8:52 pm
Profile E-mail WWW