It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 6:40 pm

Copper Sulfate 
Cockerel
Cockerel

Post Copper Sulfate
What are your views on using copper sulfate in the drinking water. I have been using it 1/4 tsp per gallon to prevent blackhead on my turkeys and have read it controls cocci. It keeps algae out of the waterers too, but I am not sure about regular usage. I know it kills the nasties that may get in the drinking water, but I haven't found a definitive answer on whether it kills the ones already present in the gut. If so, (and logic tells me it would) then it could be used as a "cleaner" for new birds but wouldn't have to be used on a day-to-day basis.

What say y'all?

Mark

" Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1779

September 12th, 2011, 12:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Post Re: Copper Sulfate
I use it from time to time, About 1/4 teaspoon for 5gal. would be a better mix for everyday use. I dont use it every day. It will get the good bacteria out of the guts also. So horse manure, or butter milk or yogurt could be used to help with the good stuff. Ive used it strong for a clean out for a few days but then you need to add good bacteria back. If your using the accidified copper sulfate that comes in a 1lb pac. This needs to be mixed with water 1 gal. That is the stock solution that you should be getting your 1/4 teaspoon from. If your using 1/4 teaspoon of the blue crystals you are mixing way to much.

September 12th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

Thanks finch. I have been using the crystals at 1/4 tsp. It seemed a little strong, but was what had been recommended by someone who was using it primarily for blackhead in turkeys. I have not had trouble with it but brought in 2 new turkey hens on the place during the summer and was worried about any little nasty things they might have had in their guts. Hopefully if anything came with them I have ended the life cycle. :thumb

Mark

" Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1779

September 12th, 2011, 2:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

A turkey probably won't have blackhead long enough to transmit it to chickens since it most often proves fatal in turkeys. Most generally the concern is whether your chickens will pass it to your turkeys since poultry may show no signs of sickness with blackhead but will be carriers.

“As long as the Almighty permitted intelligent men, created in his image and likeness, to fight in public and kill each other while the world looks on approvingly, it’s not for me to deprive the chickens of the same privilege.”
– Abraham Lincoln

September 12th, 2011, 3:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

I wanted to make sure that the new turkeys didn't transmit it to the ones I already have. They develop somewhat of an immunity over time if exposed and treated. This is kind of like immunity to cocci that chickens develop.
Does the copper sulfate affect cocci like it does the protozoa in water and the gut. I know Corid is the treatment for cocci but if the copper sulfate has already killed them off there is no need to put another toxin in their system.

September 13th, 2011, 7:23 am
Profile E-mail

Copper Sulfate is used as a fungicide. I can't see it working on either blackhead or cocci. Blackhead as it is called is transmitted via a protozoan. I wasn't aware that copper sulfate would work on a protozoan; of course, there's alot of stuff I'm not aware of!

September 13th, 2011, 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Cockerel
Cockerel

That's the part I am trying to figure out. http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/acidifi ... lfate.html
"Blackhead disease can be a problem in turkeys, chukar, grouse, quail, partridge, pheasants, and peafowl but rarely in chickens. Chickens are often the carriers, thus the benefits of segregating birds by species as well as age. Caused by a protozoan, the symptoms include: increase thirst, decrease appetite, drowsiness, weakness, yellowish-brown, watery, or foamy droppings and the birds may become very thin.Pale yellow droppins in turkeys is almost always a sign of blackhead. Birds contact the disease by eating earthworms which contain the cecal worm or by ingesting droppings from infected birds. Dosage 1/4 tsp per gallon of water. Poultry should be over 3 weeks of age. This medication must be administered in glass or plastic waterer."

I am not advertising for them. Just showing one of many descriptions as an anti-protozoal agent. If it works as they say, would it also kill cocci and other parasites that it comes in contact with? It should kill bacteria because you need to repopulate the gut with good bugs after use. I am still trying to figure it out. :ga

September 13th, 2011, 9:37 am
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

doc wrote:
Copper Sulfate is used as a fungicide. I can't see it working on either blackhead or cocci. Blackhead as it is called is transmitted via a protozoan. I wasn't aware that copper sulfate would work on a protozoan; of course, there's alot of stuff I'm not aware of!

Yeah doc, since arsenic salt based nithiazides, such as Dutch go lite tablets and dimetridayole were taken off the market here in the US over 20 years ago, there is no other viable treatment ( think heavy metal salts). years ago, I used wooden troughs made from old formula "salt-treated, or pressure-treated" wood which at the time used arsenic salts. Todays is a poorer quality copper salt.
I use a hog wormer as well when I have to treat for blackhead, generally only during periods of ground being saturated as it is now, and in pens where birds actually left on that piece of ground too long and pig pen instead of grass.

September 13th, 2011, 9:53 am

Learn something everyday: that is my motto. Since I have, can I now go home?

September 13th, 2011, 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Know It All!
Know It All!

doc wrote:
Learn something everyday: that is my motto. Since I have, can I now go home?

Yeah, brother, that's what keeps us from going backward. Once folks know it all, they stop growing.I'm always glad when I can learn something early in the day, so I can conserve energy, and put my CPU in hibernate :mrgreen:
Class is dismissed for today. Does it really show that I taught school for 6 years ? :mrgreen:

September 13th, 2011, 12:11 pm