It is currently September 18th, 2014, 8:42 am

Watery, sagging, swollen eyes, sneezing, nasal discharge.... 
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Post Watery, sagging, swollen eyes, sneezing, nasal discharge....
As mentioned on a previous post, I found very good result using a Child Homeopathic Remedy to treat our store flock of 13 Silkies. They all came down with a "cold" the first week of this month. So, I wanted to share with everyone my experience.

The symptoms noticed and identified were: watery eyes, swollen eyes, sagging eye lids, mucus shut eyes (left side), slight nasal discharge, sneezing and some gaping. (Interesting enough most of the eye symptoms were focused on the left side of the birds.)

Normally, I would have culled the worst and treated the rest with antibiotics. But I have had poor long term results with antibiotic treated birds so I’ve wanted to try something different. So this time for the sake of testing, I kept them all together and used the two worst case scenarios as my gauging system for the flock.

So to the best of my knowledge the folk had a “chicken cold” of some sort. I smelled their heads but didn’t notice a vastly offense odor. Most of the symptoms pointed to some type of “Infectious Coryza”, which is what I treated them for.

I used both of the following sites as a starting point to diagnose and for treatment option suggestions.
http://www.kingbirdfarm.com/Layerhealthcompendium.pdf

http://www.vethomopath.com/indpoultry.htm

The sites above contain a lot of information.

Remedy & Treatment:

Anyway, the Homeopathic combo remedy I used is manufactured by HYLANDS Homeopathics, its specifically manufactured for children and is sold as “COLD’N COUGH 4 KIDS”. I used 1cc per pint of fresh water and ½ cc per ½ pint of water. I only gave enough water to get them thru ¾ of the day. This way I was assured they were drinking all the water and would be thirsty the next day. I only planned to treat them for 3 days, but advised by my wife, who is certified in Homeopathy, I continued for 5 days. Symptoms were noticeably reduced in 24hrs and to the best of my knowledge gone by day 4.

Also, during this time, I feed only a layer mash. This layer mash was spiked with a lot of Garlic powder and Cayenne pepper flakes. In addition, I rinsed the two Silkies with shut eyes under a Oxine and water mixture.

Couple words of caution: do not add remedies to food it, do not add bleach or Oxine to water.

In my opinion, the advantage to this remedy is that it is a combo remedy (meaning there are mix of various low vitality tinctures in this product) so it should cover most of the poultry colds and some other illnesses. If you read the remedies, on the label, that make up the combo it should cover a lot of chicken illness, per the “Layer Health Compendium.”

I feel the two key reasons this remedy worked so well was because it is a COMBO remedy, and because of the LOW vitality tinctures. Most of the tinctures in this remedy complement each other, work independently and together seem to produce strong synergistic results.

Here is some information on the Hylands Remedy…
http://www.hylands.com/products/coldcough.php

List of active ingredients:
Active Ingredients:
Allium Cepa 6X HPUS - Watery Runny Nose, Cold, Hacking Cough, Painful Throat
Hepar Sulph Calc 12X HPUS - Cold, Sneezing,
Nat Mur 6X HPUS - Dry cough, Sore Throat
Phosphorus 12X HPUS - Hoarse / Dry Cough, Nasal Congestion, Chest Congestion,
Pulsatilla 6X HPUS - Spasmotic Cough, Cold, Nasal Congestion
Sulphur 12X HPUS - Chest Congestion, Nasal Congestion, Sneezing, Burning Runny Nose
Hydrastis 6X HPUS - Rattling / Tickling Cough, Sinus Congestion, Dry / Raw / Sore Throat.

Good luck,

September 23rd, 2012, 5:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Post Re: Watery, sagging, swollen eyes, sneezing, nasal discharge....
Interesting. I've never been one to believe in homeopathy in that "like cures like" but I do believe that some herbs can cure or vastly help birds and animals. I don't think many remedies are good for humans because we've been exposed to so much antibiotics and crap that our bodies are immune to herbs for the most part. There are a few exceptions here though like echinacea and St. John wort. I'm curious to see if this will work and I'll buy some to have on hand just in case I have come down with anything.

September 23rd, 2012, 9:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

vetgirl00us wrote:
Interesting. I've never been one to believe in homeopathy in that "like cures like" but I do believe that some herbs can cure or vastly help birds and animals. I don't think many remedies are good for humans because we've been exposed to so much antibiotics and crap that our bodies are immune to herbs for the most part. There are a few exceptions here though like echinacea and St. John wort. I'm curious to see if this will work and I'll buy some to have on hand just in case I have come down with anything.

No don't buy it for yourself. That would be waste of money. The potencies are far to low to have a positive effect on adults.

But for poultry, from the research I have done, the best results are achieved via low potency (3X, 6X, 12X) remedies and tinctures. Which is what is found ni the Hylands combo. For compariron sake, when i come down with something or I am feeling off, I usually will test for 30X, 200X, 1M potency remedies. Most people over 4-5 yrs of age will too.

So don't buy it for youself but maybe give it a try on your birds who's symptoms call for the remedies found in the active ingredients. If you do, use the Kingbird PDF file as a guide it was very helpful.

I am just sharing my results.

I have just started practicing Homeopathy on my poultry. But there seems to be a fair amount of research and evidence of success. Unfortunately, it is just not common practice ( stateside) or as marketed.

Good luck

September 24th, 2012, 12:56 am
Profile E-mail

Thanks for the info Paulo.

This is a liquid?

September 24th, 2012, 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Doc-
Yes it is. From the literature i have read, a little really goes along way with this stuff when using it on chickens.

September 24th, 2012, 11:22 am
Profile E-mail